Saturday, January 23, 2010

Hope For Haiti

So it's been 11 days since the Earthquake in my country, Haiti.
I've been so overwhelmed with emotions ever since this catastrophe as you heard them call it on the news everyday. And it was.. Never would I ever imagine that this would've happened to my country, to any country as that. Not this bad. We've had hurricanes here and there, where we would lose about 1000 people but during this earthquake, we lost the whole country. There's an estimate of about 200,000 deaths which includes my little cousins, my mother's friends, my friend's family members, my neighbor's family members, someones wife, husband, child. We were suffering and we lost hope.

Throughout this time, I was shattered with emotions. I didn't want to do anything. I was hiding in my room, there I felt safe within my tears and pain. Watching where you grew up and spent most of your life in shambles is a very painful experience.

Slowly but surely I am believing that maybe this is for our own good. We have been suffering for a while, with the government and the economy and we've needed and been calling for help. I know many of us are just disappointed that it had to take an earthquake and thousands of death and million homeless to get that.

I assume you all follow the news since this is all over, from the rescue stories to people doubting Wyclef's "Yele" organization and to yesterdays "Hope For Haiti" telethon. After Wyclef's performance it really just set in for me .. We will survive this. We are a STRONG nation, we have HOPE and we are FAITHFUL. Tears may have been shed, hearts may have been broken, memories may have been washed away but "L'union fait la force"*

Keep helping anyway you can.. even when the spotlight is not on us anymore we are still here. It's going to take a while and I strongly believe that we will be better. We have fallen down and so we MUST get up.









P.S. You can go to itunes.com/haiti to buy these songs that were performed during the "Hope For Haiti" telethon










* L'union fait la force = Unity make strength

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin